It's a little-known fact that thousands of leukemia and other patients every
year don't find a life-saving bone marrow donor match in time, even with a national registry of over 10 million possible donors. The tissue-typing requirements are precise and costly and the donor registry simply isn't long enough.
Swim for Life is your opportunity to change that reality, and have fun doing it.
The Swim raises money to add people in our community to this life saving registry, while also facilitating matches that are made with donors in our area.
Swim for Life is an annual 2.5 mile, team-based swim across Lake Washington from Medina Beach Park to Madison Park. A team is four or fewer swimmers
and a kayaker, so you always have a safety boat near you.
This combination builds team spirit and a collective feeling of accomplishment; many swimmers who meet each other in this event continue to swim together over the year and return as a team the next year.
Event Date: Wednesday, August 21, 2013.
Cost: $160 per team. Teams should bring their own kayaker and kayak.
Check out the photos from last year...
- Pace: You will cross the lake together as one team with one kayak, so be realistic about your mile pace time! A difference of more than five minutes per mile on a team may be awkward unless you already know each other and the faster swimmer is patient.
- Start times: To consolidate the finish experience, this year the start order is reversed, with slowest teams starting first and fastest starting last. Each wave has 15-20 teams:
- Pink Wave
- Red Wave
- Green Wave
- Orange Wave
- Yellow Wave
- Changing Teams: If you discover that you need to remove yourself from a team, or your paces don't match and you need to switch teams, contact the Registration Coordinator. You may not switch teams in mid-swim.
- Incomplete Teams: Registration is by team, but you do not need to know all of your team members at the time of registration. You can register now to reserve your team spot, then invite other participants to your team as you identify them. (If you are missing the essential kayaker or want more swimmers, periodically check the Find A Team page.) Occasionally, some swimmers want to stay as a team of just one or two swimmers with their own kayak. This is OK.
- Solo participation: For a swimmer or kayer with no team yet, Find A Team is a place to share your interest (for free) and find kayakers or similarly-paced swimmers to make a team. NOTE: Solo swimmers who still do not have a team by registration closure will not be allowed to cross the lake.
- Registration Closure: Registration closes this year on August 7, 2013, or when we have 85 registered teams, whichever comes first.
Registration cost per team is $160. You are not required to fundraise for this event, but we hope you do anyway! We make it easy with a personalized pledge page for each participant. We'll have prizes and special incentives to encourage you to take your fundraising to the next level.
These community-focused sponsors are extending the Be The Match registry and saving lives. Please help us thank them.